Where to stay in Ohrid in Macedonia? This picturesque town on Lake Ohrid is home to some of the best hotels and offers some great stays at luxury hotels and boutique hotels with a stunning lake view. But it does take some time to go through that overwhelmingly large offer to find the perfect place to stay in Ohrid. This blog will help you make a choice. What are the best places to stay when visiting Lake Ohrid? And which hotels are the best choice?
Where is Ohrid in Macedonia?
Ohrid is located on the border of the Republic of North Macedonia with the coastal country of Albania. Lake Ohrid is the natural border between the two countries and is named after the historic city that lies on the Macedonian coast of the lake.
It takes about 2.5 hours driving from the Macedonian capital Skopje to get to Ohrid. But you might also want to consider visiting this beautiful destination on your Albania road trip. The Albanian side of Lake Ohrid doesn’t have as much to offer as the Macedonian side does with the charming town of Ohrid and other attractions on the lake. That’s why we visited Ohrid during our Albania trip without exploring the rest of North Macedonia.
Ohrid also conveniently has its own airport, but you will rarely find affordable flights to Ohrid. If you want to travel to Ohrid from the abroad, we recommend booking a flight to Skopje or Tirana in Albania and get a rental car to drive yourself to the lake.
Why Ohrid is worth visiting
As the largest city on Lake Ohrid, the charming town of Ohrid in Macedonia is one of the most beautifully situated places in the Balkans. The city is built against the hills and is known for its medieval city center and numerous orthodox churches. With countless sights, charming streets and the deepest lake in Europe, Ohrid is definitely worth a visit.
The old town of Ohrid is characterized by authentic old houses in white with black accents, interspersed with historical monuments. The streets are cobbled and locals manoeuvre their vintage cars through the narrow streets. Although Ohrid is known for its many stunning churches, Saint John in Kaneo has become an icon for the city. The Church of Saint John in Kaneo – or Sveti Jovan Kaneo – stands on a rocky outcrop by the lake. Especially at sunset, many visitors gather here to watch the sun set behind the mountains of Albania from a viewpoint just above St. John in Kaneo. The lake and the church will have a golden glow, which is a beautiful spectacle.
Other highlights in Ohrid that you don’t want to miss? The ancient Fortress of Samuel on the highest point of the city, the many other beautiful churches, the ancient theater from Roman times and the Ohrid Boardwalk over the water. And of course Lake Ohrid itself, which you can explore during a beautiful boat trip. As a day trip from Ohrid, we also recommend visiting the mountainous Galičica National Park right next to the lake and the famous Monastery of Sveti Naum.
Where to stay in Ohrid
Where to stay in the old town of Ohrid
The old town with its narrow streets winding up the hills, is the most beautiful place to stay when visiting the town. We would highly recommend you to stay in or near the old town, if you want to explore the town of Ohrid. It’s convenient to stay close to the city’s sights and you’ll love stepping out of your hotel and immediately marvelling at the charming cobble-stoned streets.
The best options for hotels in Ohrid are:
- Villa Misiya with a great location by the lakeside promenade, so within walking distance of all the attractions of Ohrid. The stylish, modern rooms are wonderfully comfortable and the hotel receives many enthusiastic reviews from its guests.
- Villa Kotlat for a modern, bright hotel with a great location just north of the historic center. The highlights of this hotel are both the lovely, modern rooms and the beautiful private swimming pool.
- Villa Jordan for a hotel option near the boulevard and a 10-minute walk from the old center. Prepare yourself for lovely modern hotel rooms and a refreshing dip in the swimming pool.
- Hotel Alexandria Ohrid with a prime location in the old center. The rooms are bright and basic with a view of the lake.
Where to stay at Lake Ohrid
There are also beautiful hotel options along the shores of Lake Ohrid. As the distances along the lake are quite small, it is a great option to stay at one of the beautiful hotels outside the town of Ohrid. You’ll stay near the lovely beaches and at hotels with stunning lake views, while visiting the old town of Ohrid during day trips.
The most beautiful hotels along Lake Ohrid are:
- Hotel Tino Sveti Stefan for probably the most beautiful hotel on Lake Ohrid. The hotel has its own spa, indoor and outdoor pool, sauna, hammam and fitness center. The view of the lake, great breakfast and good service ensure excellent reviews from hotel guests.
- Hotel Belvedere for a classic luxury hotel south of Ohrid in a pine forest in the village of Sveti Stefan. The hotel and its rooms have a beautiful view of the lake.
- Vila Bisera in the village of Lagadin with two seasonal outdoor pools with umbrellas and sunbeds. All attractive and luxurious rooms have a balcony with a view over the lake.