Every time in London we sleep in another district. Because the neighbourhoods at the edge of the centre are so atmospheric! The raw architecture, fantastic coffee spots and food markets attracted us to the Southbank. It was so amazing, that we have gathered the nicest hotels and hostels in this hip neighborhood for you. You must try this part of London!
TIP: Read this blog for the best spots south of the Thames; the Southbank, Borough and Southwark.
$ $ $ $ $ = > €
200,-$ $ $ $ = €150,-/€
200,-$ $ $ = € 100,-
/€150,-$ $ = € 50,-
€50-* Prices based on a standard 2 person room
- PubLove @ The Rose & Crown | $$ | Book
- PubLove @ The Steam Engine | $$ | Book These two hostels have a fantastic location: The first one can be found near the popular Borough Market, the second within walking distance of the Waterloo metro station. The two design hostels offer more luxury than you are accustomed to from hostels, combined with a delicious pub atmosphere. We are especially fan of the Rose & Crown because of its atmospheric design and location at Borough Market.
- The Walrus Hostel | $ | Book This hostel near the Westminster Bridge is popular for this prime location. There are large and smaller dorms. Everything is pretty basic, but with good service.
- St Christopher’s The Inn-London Bridge | $ | Book This super clean hostel is very popular with backpackers. The cosy pub on the ground floor is a nice place to listen to live music. Their great food is a must and if you sleep in the hostel, you’ll get a discount.
- Safestay London Elephant & Castle | $ | Book This sleeping spot is a little farther from the center of the Southbank, but very close to the Metro. The style? Very Pink! It is clean and comfortable with a garden bar for the sunny days.
- The Mad Hatter Hotel | $$ | Book In an authentic nineteenth-century building, this hotel breathes old London. The beautiful monument in Southwark was once a hat factory. The name of the hotel is a nice nod to both this history and Alice in Wonderland. Extra fun: In many rooms you’ll be impressed by Alice and the Mad Hatter! With a classic décor and a great atmosphere, the old Hat factory has been converted into atmospheric hotel. The Tate Modern and the Metro are around the corner.
- CitySpace London | $$ | Book Really literally next to the Borough Metro station is this hotel. The décor is basic, just and comfortable. The hotel also offers flexible working spaces. The ideal base on the Southbank for your workacation!
- OYO Home Waterloo Executive 3 | $$$$ | Book With a sleek white décor and two bedroom apartment-perfect for families-this OYO is within walking distance of the London Eye, the Thames and the Houses of Parliament.
- Bankside Hotel Autograph Collection | $$$$$ | Book London is known for its beautiful high end hotels and this is definitely one of them! The hotel is part of the Marriot, so expect a luxurious, modern and hip design. The hotel is located near the Thames and the modern Tate Modern Museum. You will find everything you could need: Terrace, fitness, bar, library. The 9 on Booking.com doesn’t surprise us at all.
- Sea Containers London (formerly: Mondrian Hotel) | $$$$ | Book With a 9 on Booking.com, river view, rooftop bar and spa we can understand why this hotel is so popular. The décor is stylish, modern and minimalist. The location on the Southbank near the Tate Modern and the river is top.
- Native Bankside | $$$ | Book Near Borough Market and the river this hotel you get here might be the best value for money. The décor is trendy, comfortable and stylish. The hotel score a whopping 9.2 on Booking.com!
The well-known chains like Hilton, CitizenM, Parkplaza and Novotel are also on the Southbank, but we have not taken them. Haven’t found what you were looking for? Airbnb also has a great offer.